Every year across the State of South Carolina, deer and other animals cause thousands of dollars in vehicle damage as well as cause hundreds of injuries. Whether you are taking your family on a trip through the woods or just traveling on business, your insurance is there to help you. There are over one million white tail deer in South Carolina, many of which love to cross road ways.
What Coverage Applies to Deer or Animal Damage?
If you hit a deer or other animal, and you have comprehensive coverage on your Charleston auto insurance, you will have the insurance necessary to repair the damage.
South Carolina is a Zero Deductible State
South Carolina is one of the few states that allow zero deductible for glass breakage if you have comprehensive coverage. That means that your insurance company is required by law to allow you to purchase a windshield replacement using insurance with no deductible—as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle. This is very important in that you may want to increase your comprehensive deducible to save money but you will still have zero deductible if you hit a deer.
Driving Safety Tips
- Heed the warning signs. Posted warnings of deer and animal crossing are there for a reason.
- Always drive at a safe speed.
- Many animals move around at dusk and early morning.
- Observe your surroundings. Actively scan the sides of the roads as you drive for any signs of wildlife.
- September through January is a time when deer and elk are particularly active.
- Deer and elk are herd animals, so if you see one, there may be more.
- Don’t rely on vehicle-mounted whistles or reflectors to keep deer away from your vehicle. Studies show they are not effective.
- Notify the local law enforcement agency if you have an accident with an animal.
- Contact the local emergency services if anyone is injured.
We hope you never have to worry about hitting a deer or other animal. Please slow down and be safe. Taking simple precautions can be the difference between having an accident with a deer, and almost having an accident with a deer. Remember to call us for a free auto and home insurance review.